It's the new year and many of us are wanting to eat healthier and get fit. But how can you not crave comfort food on a chilly nights like tonight? Here is the best of two worlds, a low calorie meal & cheese!
First we start with the ingredients, this is for a serving for two:
- Turkey Bacon
- 2 cups of Spinach (this is the "L" in the BLT)
- 1 ripe tomato
- Low Calorie whole wheat bread
- 1 clove of garlic (it's okay to cheat and use the jar garlic, I do it all the time)
- 1/2 a medium red onion
- 2 slices of low fat medium sharp cheddar cheese (I love Sargento)
- 1 can of low calorie tomato basil soup
Now it's time to cook!
- First we want to put the red onion and clove of garlic in a medium pan with a little cooking spray. Temperature should be on medium/low. Let these brown for about 10 minutes.
- While the onions and garlic are browning cut 4 slices of tomato, this will be about 1/2 the tomato. Go ahead and dice the other half and toss it into the can of tomato basil soup. This is going to make your soup heartier. Cook your bacon.
- Get your 2 slices of bread, put 1 slice of low cal cheese and 1 cup of spinach on one side topped with 2 slices of tomato. After 10 minutes of browning put the onion/garlic mix on the other side of the bread. Sandwich the two sides together! We are ready to grill.
- Heat a medium pan with cooking spray. Cook your BLT Grilled Cheese 2 minutes per side until golden brown. No need to butter the bread, it adds nothing to this already flavor filled meal.
- Serve, eat and enjoy. Only 340 calories per person for soup and sandwich!